This playbook helps you identify and sync your Top 20% of customers to your marketing platforms, so you can easily send them messages and nurture them into even more profitable customers. Interested in learning more about how we determine your Top 20% of customers? Click here.
Your Top 20% of Customers are the customers with the highest combination of your most recent, frequent and high spenders for your store. They typically generate the lion share of profits. These customers love your brand, and if nurtured properly, will continue to make frequent purchases from your brand for years.
You might be asking yourself what’s the difference between syncing your Top 20% of Customers based on RFM versus your High Value Customers (HVCs). The main difference is using the RFM scores (ranking ordering customers based on their RFM scores) will give you an algorithmic-based approach to customer segmentation, whereas HVCs segmentation is based on rules. Basically RFM Scores are a more advanced way to segment compared to HVCs.
How to Sync Your HVCs to Your Marketing Channels:
Part 1: Creating an Audiences Target
- In the Daasity app, click on New Target.
- Click on Klaviyo or Attentive Events.
- Under General, create a Name (to ID in Daasity app) and an Event Name (to ID in your Marketing platform).
- Select “Only update existing profiles.”
- Under Authorize Daasity, add your Private API Key/Log into your account.
- Under Audiences Source, make sure that the chosen source is Daasity Customer Segments. Then, choose the RF Decile Score 1-2 report.
- Under Data Mapping, sync the appropriate channel for each source:
- For Klaviyo, type in (or select) $email for the customers.email field
- For Attentive, type in (or select) $phone for the customers.phone field
- Next to CUSTOMER_SEGMENT, type in daasity_segment_rfm_score_1_2
- Under Schedule, select the frequency you want Daasity to update customer profiles (we recommend Daily).
Step 2: Creating an Automation in your Marketing channels called Welcome New HVCs
- In Klaviyo:
- Select Metric as a trigger
- Select Properties About Someone
- Select ‘equals’ daasity_segment_rf_score_1_2
- Pro-Tip: add a filter that removes the customer if they make a purchase during the flow. This way, you won’t make any additional offers to the HVCs who convert from your efforts.
- In Attentive:
- Create a new Journey and select Custom Journey.
- Select RF Decile 1-2 as the journey trigger and select Send a Message about something else. Note: This message doesn’t qualify as transactional and will not need to be approved.
Part 3: Build your flow to nurture these High-Value Customers.
We recommend a multi-step flow here where a customer has multiple touch points showing how much you value them as a customer. These customers are frequent shoppers who frequently purchase from your store.
- Typically, brands will welcome customers to a VIP program or a branded version of a VIP program.
- Here are some example rewards for being a Top customer: Exclusive access to new Products/Promos (Beta Testing/Early access to new products), Free Products, Higher Tiers of Loyalty Points and incentives (ex. Free Shipping, Higher discounts), Exclusive Events (Digital and physical), Personal Messages from the founders/team, Referral Request, Birthday Gift
- In email, this is typically a 3-5 step flow. In SMS, coordinate 1-2 messages that work well with the emails you send.
- If you have limited bandwidth, build at least one message in each channel welcoming these customers to their VIP status and letting them know what to expect from being a High Value Customer.
- The key is to make these customers feel valued and stakeholders in your brand.
Part 4 (Optional): Building a Segment to target Your Top 20% of Customers in Campaigns.
- In Klaviyo:
- Select the Trigger option and set the filter to “Properties About Someone”
- Select ‘equals’ daasity_segment_rfm_score_1_2
- Pro Tip: Always add filters for suppressed emails in your segments.
- In Attentive:
- Create a new Dynamic segment
- Select the Trigger option A subscriber’s activity
- Select "equals" RF Decile 1-2
The Final Huddle:
- Every time a customer enters the Top 20%, they are automatically added to the flow and receive a welcome across channels.
- Automatically nurture as many customers in the Top 20% as possible.
- There’s an always up-to-date segment identifying the Top 20% of Customers to target in Campaigns as well.